This is a collection of shops in a heritage building called Sundar Mahal. You can pick up clothes, home decoration curios, and semi precious stone jewellery here along with a light lunch. You can sit on the patio amidst the beautiful gardens and munch on yummy cucumber – mint chutney sandwiches. Not too expensive.
- Location: on Padmavathi road, in Gopalapuram about 20 minutes drive from central Chennai.
This restaurant serves up some amazing continental food. You can choose from Italian, French and Lebanese food from its large menu. No alcohol is served at the restaurant. Food here is somewhat expensive.
- Location: 29 Gandhi Mandapam Road, near Adyar Cancer Institute. About half an hour from central Chennai.
For some authentic Chinese food head to Chinatown and feast on some delicious seafood and Chinese fare. A quite popular family friendly restaurant, the food is quite reasonable.
- Location: Cathedral Road, about half an hour from central Chennai, very close to the Airport.
The Dasaprakash Chain of restaurants is all over the south of India and they serve exclusively vegetarian food. While its mainstay on the menu is southern Indian fare it also offers some rudimentary continental choices along with basic fast food. Do try out their ice cream at the end of the meal, served in silver bowls with a wafer. For south Indian food the prices are somewhat expensive, but the ambience makes up for it.
- Location: 100, Poonamalee High Road, Chennai.
Chettinad cuisine, typical of south Indian food, is the specialty of this restaurant. Try out the dosas (fried lentil pancakes) here along with the many variations in the regular potato fillings. Food from other parts of India and Chinese is also available. It is open from 06:00 to 23:00. Very reasonably priced food.
- Location: Situated on Nelson Manickam Road, near the railway station at Nungambakkam, about half an hour away from central Chennai.
Quite literally the place where all south Indian fast food began. The small town of Udipi has made a name in big towns such as Mumbai too. Quite cheap and fresh food is available here.
- Location: Mathysa, Egmore a 10-minute drive from central Chennai.